Thursday 4 June 2015

Repairs to Hempcrete

These pictures below show a hole that was created on a very windy night when the tarp we were using to protect the new hempcrete from the 'elements' was in fact the cause of the only damage. It wasn't the first lesson we learnt but it was quite an important one. We never bothered with tarps after that. I think tarps may be more important in extremely wet climates. Our concerns with exposed hemp have tended to be more towards the hemp drying too quickly. 

Back to the holes....Firstly I damped down the hole using the mister on the hose. I then held a piece of formwork over the hole and shoved the hempcrete down behind it, filling the hole up. It was rather rudimentary but it seems to have done the trick. It's certainly one of the things that I really like about hempcrete, it is quite forgiving. I am also hoping that the rendering will hide many of these small imperfections. 
A rather large hole caused by a tarp hitting the
wall all night by strong winds


The hempcrete wall filled.

Aww cute, it looks a little like a love heart

The repair 2 weeks later, I am very pleased with the result.

No comments:

Post a Comment