Wednesday 22 June 2016

False economies when buying a second hand door!

So dad came around a couple of months ago from Newcastle and foolishly accepted the challenge of removing at least 80 years of paint from this door that we bought cheap. Dad worked pretty solidly on the door and made a bit of a dent on the paint removal.  At this stage I didn't realise that I would have to work on this door all weekend, weekend after weekend after weekend.  
Well..this is where you get false economies. I could have bought a solid timber door such as this one (perhaps with plain glass rather than coloured glass) for about $1500 dollars.  We spent $500 on this secondhand door and then spent about 80 hours removing the paint, sanding the door and then beeswaxing the door.

I finished the door this weekend with a beeswax.





It does look lovely, however, I am yet to be
convinced that it was worth the hard work.

2 comments: